Gorgeous, water-frugal scenery surrounds the homes recognized as having the finest designs entered in California’s 2010 Western Municipal Water District landscape competition. The judging criteria were:
- Curb appeal: Aesthetic use of color, form, and texture. Environmentally sensitive use of hardscape.
- Appropriate plant selection: California-friendly plant palette, functional turf, and functional landscape.
- Design: Artistic and practical layout of plant materials and hardscape elements with consideration of horticultural requirements.
- Appropriate maintenance: Use of mulch; weeds kept to a minimum; plants neat, tidy and attractive.
- Efficient methods of irrigation: Appropriate irrigation design, and equipment designed to reduce runoff.
See winners here.